It’s our 10th anniversary!
Enter the 2018 competition and be part of our birthday celebrations.
- £15,000 worth of prizes from Gibson, Roland, Eurostar, Institute of Contemporary Music Performance, plus others
- New Earn £ while busking during the competition*
- New Pre-competition performance coaching
- New category with no upper age limit
- Record a single in a top London studio
- Paid gigs
- Access to exclusive music industry events
- Access to London Underground Busking Scheme**
- Access to Network Rail Busking Scheme**
- Industry advice and support
- Play to thousands at the capital’s busiest and iconic locations
Gigs, in association with Gibson, is the Mayor of London’s annual busking competition and has been showcasing amazing young musical talent since 2009.
It is not just a competition. It opens the door to a range of opportunities through the Busk in London programme, including exclusive performance opportunities and paid gigs. It is great training in the art of public performance.
*Not all Gigs locations permit the collection of money ** Age restrictions and other T&Cs apply
To enter just complete the registration form and include a link to a video of your act. If you're already a registered user on the Busk in London website, make sure you are logged in before following the link below.
Deadline for entries 23:59 on Sunday 10 June 2018. Any questions, email email@example.com
The competition is open to performers aged 11 yrs and over, whatever their musical style, from classical to country, folk to pop and everything in between.
Gigs is all about performing with a real busking vibe. No stage or fancy equipment - just you and your music. All acts need to make sure they're completely portable and can perform in a stripped back, lo-fi fashion.
Acts chosen to take part in the competition will get the chance to perform over the summer on our exclusive circuit of Gigs busking pitches that cover some of the busiest, most iconic locations in London. Every Gigs pitch is staffed by a Gigs Event Team and equipped with a battery-powered amp, microphone and stand.
All acts will be seen by the judges during the live performance period. They will choose their top acts to reach the Grand Final, held on Sunday 2 September at Westfield London. Through our online voting system, the public also get to choose their favourite acts to go through the Grand Final.
There are three categories in the competition and acts are entered into the one that is right for them.
All performers must be the correct age for the category from the date entries open to the date of the Grand Final.
This category may include:
- Mixed aged groups (duos to an eight piece)
- Performers aged 26 yrs + over
- Instrumental ensembles, rock, pop or folk bands
- Any type of vocal group
Music must be the main feature, but acts in the category may include other types of performance, e.g. elements of choreographed movement or section of speech.
All acts need to make sure they're completely portable and can perform in a stripped back, lo-fi fashion.
Although most acts enter for training and experience, this is a competition and there are some fantastic prizes up for grabs:
- Epiphone Acoustic guitar to each of the Grand Final Judges' top three acts
- Gibson HP Acoustic guitar to the most promising finalist
- London Underground Busking Licence
- Roland busking equipment
- Sessions at a top London studio to record a single
- Career mentoring from the team at The Hub (ICMP)
- A busking trip to Paris or Amsterdam, courtesy of Eurostar
- Songwriting sessions with multi-platinum selling writers
- A host of great performance opportunities around London
- Paid gigs booked through Busk in London
All performers aged 16 yrs+ have the chance to join the London Underground Gigs Graduate busking circuit (performers are issued a temporary licence to busk on a small number of TfL pitches).
All performers aged 14yrs+ have the chance to join Busk in London's Network Rail busking scheme.
Anyone entering Gigs who writes their own music can enter the Songwriting Prize. Winning songs are chosen by a panel of judges and the songwriter finalists receive a day of practical masterclasses delivered by multi-platinum selling writers. The overall winner will also get to perform at a high profile event, including to 9,000 people at the Feast of St George on Trafalgar Square.
The Gigs Grand Final 2017 was held on Sunday 3 September at Westfield London and saw Josh Gleaves crowned as Gigs Champion.
Winners chosen by the judges were:
Judges Top Three (in alphabetical order):
Gigs Champion: Josh Gleaves
Gibson Prize: Ella Tobin
ICMP Award: Jamie Wood
Eurostar Prize: Ky Lewis