International Busking Day
#InternationalBuskingDay is Saturday 21st July 2018.
Legendary musician Nile Rodgers will officially launch the celebrations of this year’s International Busking Day at its new global headquarters in Wembley Park, London. Join us and Nile at 11:30 a.m. Arena Square, Wembley Park.
We will be running a FREE programme of live music, festival events and free workshops from 11:30 a.m. - 8p.m.
The streets are the world's biggest talent platform. Celebrate your local street performers on International Busking Day (and every day)!
Photo credit : Jill Furmanovsky
It kicks off a day of celebration, including performances from double platinum singer-songwriter Newton Faulkner, UK Top 40 story-telling pop sensation Nina Nesbitt, iconoclastic bluesman Lewis Floyd Henry and No.1 Irish chart phenomenon Keywest.
Artists will be joined by street dancers, emerging music talent, balloon twisters, BMX acrobats and much more. More details below.
Street performance is under threat. Busking is legal on public land (in the UK) and has existed spontaneously for centuries, but many local councils are considering restricting or regulating it. Busk in London believe it is important that busking remains legal on public land.
Performers across 6 continents took part in International Busking Day last year - from Sydney to Reyjkavik, Tokyo to Rio. Public spaces were filled with music, magic, comedy, physical theatre, living statues and dance. We marked them on a giant map in Trafalgar Square, London as they popped up on social media across the day. See below - it's really easy to get involved.
How can I get involved?
- Get out there and do your thing whether you're a newcomer or a seasoned pro. Upload a photo or video of your performance to social media on Saturday 21 July with the hashtags #InternationalBuskingDay and #SummerofPlay Tag @buskinlondon @wembleypark We'll repost and share throughout the day. We will also display all photos on a world map on a giant screen at our global hub - Wembley Park, London.
- Support local talent. Let us know about any buskers you've seen on your travels. If they made your day brighter, show your support by tipping them.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to tell us where you plan to be. We'll put you on the map and send you an International Busking Day T-shirt and stickers to get creative with.
Wembley Park Programme of Events
Arena Square Running Order
11:30 International Busking Day launch with Nile Rodgers
12:10 - 12:40 Afrikan Warriors
12:50 - 13:20 The Kings Parade
13:30 - 13:38 BMX Daredevils urban acrobatics
13:48 - 13:55 Impact Dance
14:05 - 14:35 Lewis Floyd Henry
14:40 - 14:48 BMX Daredevils urban acrobatics
14:55 - 15:25 Nina Nesbitt
15:35 - 16:20 Maple Staple Gun
16:30 - 16:38 BMX Daredevils urban acrobatics
16:45 - 17:15 Roof Top Trio
17:20 - 17:28 BMX Daredevils urban acrobatics
17:45 - 18:15 Newton Faulkner
18:30 - 19:30 Keywest
Photo credit - Nina Nesbitt by Wolf James
International Busking Day Festival – Busk in London Academy Tent, Market Square – FREE workshops
Book yourself a spot in one of our FREE, fun, family friendly workshops that will be running in the Busk in London Academy Tent on Market Square, Wembley Park between 12.30 – 5.30pm on International Busking Day.
12:30 -13:20 Loop Pedal Masterclass
Lewis Floyd Henry, Boss pedal artist, iconoclastic bluesman and genuine, original, one-man band will demonstrate how to get the best from your guitar pedals. If you’re looking for something fresh, inventive, and suitably low-fi Lewis is your man. You can also catch his International Busking Day performance on Arena Square at 14:05
13:30 – 14:30 Get twisting with Balloon sculpture
Want to unleash your creativity and learn the magic of balloon modelling? Then this workshop is for you! Fantastical creatures, cartoon characters, bouquets of flowers, even a new outfit made out of balloons – you will emerge with a brilliant new part trick!
Suitable for children aged 7yrs+
14:40 – 15:10 Yoga with Coriander
It's yoga with spice. It's yoga with flavour. It's yoga with comedy. It's yoga with Coriander. Coriander (Randi for short) tried to be a 21st century modern yoga teacher, however the Universe was calling her and the spice suddenly took over………… This is a short, fun and interactive yoga(ish) class – watch out for infamous "yoga selfie."
Suitable for those aged 16yrs+
15:20 – 16:20 Build a Busking set list
Did you know that some of the classic songs performed by Buskers have only four guitar chords? Come to this informal guitar lesson and learn those all important chords that will boost your repertoire and send you on your busking way. Bring your own guitar or borrow one of ours.
Suitable for those aged 10yrs + with some guitar experience
16:30 – 17:30 Introduction to Street Dance
Join us for this high energy workshop that breaks down those moves and shows you how to put together a sharp, slick street routine.
Participants will need to wear flat comfy shoes/trainers, loose clothing/dance wear/keep fit clothing.
Suitable for those aged 11yrs+
All workshops have bookable spaces. Please email email@example.com with the title of the workshop in the subject line and how many space you would like to book. Places are restricted for each session and allocated on a first come, first served basis. We will confirm by email only if you have been allocated a space. Please note all workshops will have spaces available to book on the day on a first come first served basis.
A huge thank you to everybody who took part in and supported International Busking Day.
Here's the lowdown-
- International Busking Day was launched on Trafalgar Square by Mayor of London Sadiq Khan, alongside Jessie Ware, The Vamps and Tinchy Stryder
- Performers across 6 continents entertained us and uploaded photos on social media. Some were seasoned buskers; some were giving it a go for the first time
- #InternationalBuskingDay remained in the top 5 trending on twitter throughout the weekend
- The campaign gained 22 million impressions on social media with great support from our Busk in London ambassadors including Seal, Jack Savoretti, Fatboy Slim, Billy Bragg, Corinne Bailey Rae, Hugh Cornwell, Stomp
- We had a surprise visit from Liam Gallagher who popped down to show his support for buskers
- Over 25,000 people visited our hub, Trafalagar Square on the day, which also kick started Busk in London Festival
International Busking Day 2016
Our streets and public spaces are alive and kicking throughout the year, so we created a day to really shout about this. On Saturday 23 July 2016, 100 cities around the world will join together to celebrate the first ever International Busking Day.
London leads the celebrations from Trafalgar Square, with the world showing its support. From urban streets to parks, beaches, subways, refugee camps, jungles and mountains.
Click to see maps of world and UK locations: