London Underground Busking Scheme Auditions
We're excited to be working with Transport for London again this year as they hold the next set of auditions for their busking scheme.
The London Underground Busking scheme has been in existence for 15 years and is an admired and highly regarded fixture of London life. There are 35 official busking pitches on the Underground with over 1,800 bookable performance slots every week. A large number of new licences will be awarded to bring new talent into the highly popular and successful scheme. We’re looking for live music that showcases the talent in London, delights customers, and lifts the ambience in stations, all at the same time.
Auditions will be held in public locations around the capital, including many Underground stations. Auditions will take place in August and September more details will be provided if you are selected for an audition.
How to apply
To apply for an audition, applicants must be aged 16 years or over (there is no upper age limit) but only soloists and duos can be accepted for auditions. All applicants must be resident in the United Kingdom and will need to provide proof of this. There are no restrictions on instruments, but not all busking pitches on the scheme are suitable for all instruments. If you are successful at audition, London Underground will provide a list of pitches and allowable instruments.
You will need to upload documents as identified below, so make sure you have everything to hand as the form needs to be completed in one go! You will need:
- Details of the person who’ll be our main contact. We can only deal directly with performers – no management or agent's details please
- Names and dates of birth plus the required documents (listed below) for each person in your act
- A short paragraph about your act and your music including any social media links
- Your video entry link (YouTube or Vimeo only) of a recent performance that would be representative of how you would play on the Underground if selected
All applicants need to upload:
- Photo ID (passport, UK driving licence or EU/EEA national ID card - NOT promo photos).
- If you are a non EU/EEA national, we need evidence that you have the right to work in the UK.
NB: If you are selected for audition, you will need to bring these ID documents with you to confirm your identity.
What happens once I apply?
Entries will be assessed by a panel of music industry experts and their decision will be final. No correspondence will be entered into regarding their decision and unfortunately it is not possible to give feedback to those who do not make it to the live audition. The predominant criteria will be musicianship, technique and performance, but we are also looking for a wide range of different music styles that represents London’s amazing diversity as a city. However, it’s also important to remember that tube stations are part of a busy railway network, and therefore not all genres are appropriate.
TfL does not guarantee an audition on submission of the application form.
DEADLINE EXTENDED: Applications for auditions close at 23:59 on Monday 28 August 2017.